The most common of eye tests are those wherein the eye doctor asks you to read letters from a chart. The letters on the chart gets smaller on each line. This type of test is considered basic especially in trying to determine if the eyes have normal vision or not and to determine if there are problems with the eyesight.
Undergoing a test is important for many reasons. Here are the reasons as to why we need to have eye tests:
- Regular eye tests are necessary in order to avoid unnecessary damage to the eyes caused by undiagnosed conditions. It is very common that eye diseases and vision problems are developed without us knowing them. Learning about it early on can prevent further damages.
2. Early diagnosis of eye health conditions or problems is important especially in young children. Being able to detect problems early can prevent development and learning problems. Children who are seen to have sight problems can often be treated.
3. Young children between the ages of 1 to 5 also need eye tests to look for common toddler eye problems such as crossed eyes, turned-out eyes, or lazy eyes.
4. People who have occupations which affect and use the eyes many hours of the day should also have regular tests. These occupations include drivers and those who strain their eyes for hours during work. Regular tests can help diagnose problems early and promptly apply the needed medical care, if possible.
5. Regular eye exams are also needed by those who wear glasses or contact lenses. Eye examinations can determine whether there is a need to adjust the vision grade of eyeglasses or contact lenses.
6. People who have a family medical history of eye disease or a type of chronic disease such as diabetes, then a regular vision test can also help monitor vision as well as watch out for more serious vision problems.
7. Eye Exams are also needed to be administered once every two or four years to those who are between the age of 40 to 65. Adults in their middle to senior age has a higher risk for eye diseases and vision problems.
The above-mentioned reasons validate the need for early and regular eye check ups. While some vision tests can be expensive, there are those which offer free eye tests. If you live in UK, check to see if you are qualified for free eye medical tests.